CLASS CALENDAR (mini and expanded)
To see classes only on the calendar on the right, click on the 'class' button. To see an expanded calendar, follow this link (Click Here) and select class button at the bottom of the calendar
- Opening 1NT, Stayman, Jacoby Transfers
- Opening 2NT, Opening 2C (Strong Hand, forcing bid) & responses. Looking for a slam using Blackwood & Gerber
Classes include: Handouts, exercise sheets, 8-12 pre-dealt boards to play that support the lesson, and weekly review sessions. NO material fees. NO partner needed.
- Takeout Doubles
- Strong 2 Club Opening Bid
- Slam Bidding
- Gerber and Blackwood
- the auction
- the lead
- the offense
- the defense
We all learn from each other's questions.
Unless you are consistently playing like a pro already, what's keeping you from attending?
You are cordially invited to join team Gailfus for their FREE hand review sessions following the Tuesday games. Whether you had a great game or a humbling game, there is always much to learn from the insight of top tier players.
Debbie and Alan will help you slice and dice the hands and answer all your questions. Join them on Tuesdays following the afternoon game!
- January 8 - Learn to Play
- January 15 - Where to Play
- January 22 - How High to Bid
- January 29 - What's Your Shape? Overcalls
- January 9: Control Bidding Aces with Slam Interest
- We will review Gary Waldron's Mentoring session on Control bidding on the way to a slam contract. Jane will review opening 2C, jump in suit, and Blackwood vs. RKC 1430 vs. a new approach. Should we be in 6 or 7? Or should we stop at 5?
Does that mean they own this board?
Your job may be to get in their way, to take the contract away from them, or maybe even to sacrifice.
Hal will help you understand:
- What you should have when overcalling
- How your seat position affects your overcall
- What your partner - the 'advancer' - should do next
As you play practice hands, Hal will lead a discussion between each board to zoom in on unique considerations. Hand records will be available.
Please email Maggie Briskie ASAP to reserve your spot: firstname.lastname@example.org
Send her: Your name, approximate number of master points, and if you are coming with or without a partner. If you are coming with a partner, send her their name and approximate points. If you don't have a partner, no worries - let her know and we will get one for you.
FRIDAY MORNINGS: 99'ER LESSON & GAME
(Beginner and Advanced Beginner)
Come and improve your game with a 30-minute lesson followed by a game. Playing more is the best way to improve your game. So, come on out! Get your game on!
All sessions will start at 9 AM SHARP! Cost is $10 for the lesson, game, and great snacks! Registration is not required.
In January, Trudi will be teaching a special series of lessons focused on 2/1 including 1NT Forcing, Bergen Raises, and other components of this popular bidding system.
In February, we are moving our popular Barometer game up a week to accommodate travel schedules. Come and join us!
- December 27 - BAROMETER GAME: We will play 12 boards. Everyone plays the same boards simultaneously. After each round, we will stop to discuss, dissect, and analyze the hands - the bidding, lead, declarer play, and defense. All and any of your questions will be answered. Each hand provides learning opportunities. Come with a partner or we can find you a partner.
- January 3 - Balancing Doubles: We wrap our series on doubles by teaching Balancing Doubles.
- January 10 - Two over One
- January 17 - Two over One
- January 24 - Two over One
- January 31 - BAROMETER GAME: We will play 12 boards. Everyone plays the same boards simultaneously. After each round, we will stop to discuss, dissect, and analyze the hands - the bidding, lead, declarer play, and defense. All and any of your questions will be answered. Each hand provides learning opportunities. Come with a partner or we can find you a partner.
- February 7 - Michaels: The opponents bid and you hold 5/5 in 2 of the unbid suits. What to do?
- February 14 - Unusual NT: This is another convention used to show 5/5 after the opponents open the bidding.
- February 21 - BAROMETER GAME: We will play 12 boards. Everyone plays the same boards simultaneously. After each round, we will stop to discuss, dissect, and analyze the hands - the bidding, lead, declarer play, and defense. All and any of your questions will be answered. Each hand provides learning opportunities. Come with a partner or we can find you a partner.
- February 28 - Inverted Minors: A handy convention to bid the minors and get to NT if it's there.
Please come and join our group, no partner needed. We guarantee you will play. This is a very fun and friendly group. The more you play, the more comfortable you will become with the bidding and the play of the hand.
This course will build on the Mentoring class from last November. Gary will distinguish hand-types and auctions that are best suited for Control showing cue-bids.
The course will introduce Cue Bids showing first and second round controls and when you can cue-bid shortness to show controls.
The class combines a lecture and written materials with opportunities to practice what you are learning by bidding the hands yourself.
If you realize that Blackwood (in whatever form you use) doesn’t always provide the information that you need in slam exploration, then you are ready to learn about control cue-bidding.
This course will explore some of the basic techniques including finessing; establishing trump, suit establishment; promoting winners and eliminating losers; and keeping communications open by managing your entries. Special emphasis will be placed in learning by listening - to the auction - and watching - the opening lead, the opponents' signals and their discards.
Beginners who are playing in any of the SOCBC games will benefit from these classes. Since it is impossible to determine in advance how quickly the class (and the teacher) will advance, additional sessions may be added after the first 4.
- February 18 - Overcalls
- February 25 - Takeout Doubles
- March 3 - Pre-empts
- March 10 - 2 Clubs Strong
- March 17 - Slam Bidding + Blackwood & Gerber
- March 24 - Review of Basic Competitive & Defensive Bidding